The Lone Star Emmy Educational Foundation proudly offers a scholarship program for college students pursuing a career in the television industry in the memory of Misti Torres McCarty. Her lifelong passion revolved around education and opening career paths for students in the television profession. Torres was a television news producer in many Texas television markets as well as Miami, Florida. She also served as the Executive Director of the Lone Star EMMY chapter. The Misti Torres Student Scholarship will be awarded up to the amount of $2,500 each to qualified students chosen by our Scholarship Committee. The Foundation will annually review the amount of the scholarships.
Deadline: June 13, 2016
Announcement of Winner: September 2016
To be considered for a scholarship, a student must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Student must be in good standing (not on academic probation) with a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Student must be currently enrolled in an institution of higher learning in the State of Texas at a junior level or above.
- Undergraduate students must have two (2) academic semesters remaining when the scholarship is awarded or be enrolled in graduate school.
- Student must be majoring in Radio, Television, Film; Broadcast Journalism; or related major.
- Student must submit at least two letters of recommendation from faculty, employers or internship supervisor.
- Student must submit a 3 page essay responding to these questions.
- Why did you select the television industry as your career choice?
- In what television/related activities have you participated whether in school or outside of the classroom?
- What is your first job preference after college and why?
- What is your ultimate career goal?
The application form and all enclosures must be postmarked by Monday, June 16, 2014. The applications should be sent to:
Lone Star EMMY Scholarships
P.O. Box 192393
Dallas, Texas 75219