The Lone Star Emmy Educational Foundation proudly offers a scholarship program for college students pursuing meteorology and atmospheric science. Thanks to a generous donation from NBC DFW/KXAS-TV in Dallas/Fort Worth, the Lone Star Emmy Educational Foundation developed an annual college scholarship fund in the memory of Harold Taft, who served as Chief Meteorologist at KXAS-TV from 1949 until 1991. The Lone Star EMMY Foundation will award scholarships of up to $2,500 each to qualified students chosen by our Scholarship Committee. The Foundation will annually review the amount of the scholarships.
Deadline: June 13, 2016
Announcement of Winner: September 2016
To be considered for a scholarship, a student must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Student must be in good standing (not on academic probation) with a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Undergraduate students must have two (2) academic semesters remaining when the scholarship is awarded or be enrolled in graduate school.
- Student must submit at least two letters of recommendation from faculty, employers or internship supervisor.
- Student must submit a 3 page essay responding to these questions:
- Why did you select the television industry and weather in particular as your career choice?
- In what television or related activities have you participated?
- What is your first job preference after college and why?
- Student must be currently enrolled in an institution of higher learning in the State of Texas at a junior level or above or must have attended all 4 years of high school in Texas.
- What is your ultimate career goal?
- Recommended but not required: applicants include links to on air or digital weather forecasts or stories from college or internship programs.
- To increase diversity and the number of students from underrepresented groups pursuing studies in meteorology, race and gender may be entered into the decision process. Applicants must be citizens of the United States of America either by birth or naturalization. Minority applicants who are Black (African American), Hispanic, Asian or Pacific Islander, American Indian, Aleutian (Alaskan) native or native Hawaiians must indicate such in a narrative statement how they meet these criteria.
The application form and all enclosures must be postmarked by Monday, June 13, 2016. The applications should be sent to:
Lone Star EMMY Scholarships
c/o Reginald Hardwick, NBC 5 KXAS-TV
4805 Amon Carter Blvd.
Fort Worth Texas, 76155